29 July 2008

una donaccia con un vino vinoso

Cicarello Rosso
Merlot del Veneto (2005) Italia
BCK 19200RwF 1.5litre (big mother of a bottle, yah!)
[Sometimes I drink alone]

First day first glass:
Finally a red wine in Kigali that does not smell like fermented plums. A pleasant warmth fills the mouth pretty quickly, and while not as good as a nice bite of the forest floor, it is, dare I say it, earthy to begin with. The earth mother in me, probably suffering from an empty-nest, lamented the speed with which the warmth departed and left me with a tart apple. Why didn't my little warm birds stay?

Day two third glass:
I will read the label, how novel! Described as "viney." Do they mean tastes like gnawing on a old grape vine? The Italian description actually uses the term "vinoso" which is probably more accurately defined as "full wine flavor" (you have to love the Italian use of suffices - my personal favorite is -ccia, as in donaccia). I think I disagree with both translations.

Day three:
The fermented plum strikes again. Drain it.

No comments: